The phone has been a critical tool for business since it was created. It is simply one of the quickest yet personal ways to contact someone. Sure there are many quick types of communication in the forms of faxes, emails, text messages, etc.
However, these forms of communication have been shown to not be as EFFECTIVE as a phone call can be. This is because human beings don’t just speak verbally or through words. We also naturally take in large amounts of information through non-verbal communication, primarily in the forms of tone and body language.
As a matter of fact, it has been shown that these non-verbal forms of communication make up the MAJORITY of the information that is actually conveyed and absorbed during a communication. Studies show that body language makes up about 55 percent of communication. On top of that, tone makes up another 38 percent of the information being conveyed.
However, lastly, the actual words that we say make up the remaining 7 percent of the information understood during the communication. Let this information settle in. This means that all of the common word-based business communication methods that we mentioned above DO NOT always convey the entire message. You cannot fully understand someone’s body language and tone until you are speaking to them face-to-face. As we all know, this is not always possible or efficient.
However, we can add the extra informational layer of vocal tone with the use of a simple phone call. This illustrates why phone calls are still so common and effective in business communications even with all of the other advanced communication technology that we have at our fingertips.
So now we understand why phones are still so essential. But are you using the most advanced technology available to support your business’ phone systems? If you are not using a cloud-based phone system at your company, then you are NOT. Do you know what a cloud-based phone system is? No need to worry if you don’t; we will educate you on these systems here.
How does a cloud-based phone system work?
A cloud-based phone system is a phone system that runs through the Internet, rather than on traditional telephone lines. This is why cloud-based phone systems are also known as Internet-based phone systems or as “VOIP”. VOIP stands for “Voice Over Internet Protocol”.
A cloud-based phone system routes all phone calls through a simple internet connection. This allows any business to avoid the expensive hardware, infrastructure and consistent maintenance that is needed for a traditional telephone line phone system. Let’s break down some of the main differences and advantages of VOIP systems over their older counterparts below:
Cloud-based phone system pros and cons
As we mentioned above, the main advantages that a cloud-based phone system has over traditional phone systems are:
- VOIP doesn’t require expensive hardware, infrastructure and consistent maintenance that is necessary for telephone line systems
- Only need a broadband internet connection to start making calls for your business
- Usually results in 40 to 80 percent cheaper phone bills
- Cloud-based phone systems are portable and accessible through mobile applications on smartphones
- Your broadband connection affects that quality of your phone calls. If your internet connection is currently somewhat shaky, your call quality could be bad or you may drop a lot of calls. However, if you are dealing with these problems, they can be easily alleviated by finding a better internet provider.
- There are some upfront costs in getting the proper equipment set up. However, these costs are quite small compared to the money that your business will immediately start saving.
- There is also a learning curve associated with understanding a cloud-based phone system because it is something new. However, these systems are quite simple and intuitive and shouldn’t take much time for you and your co-workers to become comfortable.
Are you phone systems backed by the best cloud-based technologies available on the market? If you are not quite sure or are ready to upgrade your phone systems to the top technological standards, please contact us at RingByName by filling out our online contact form at https://www.ringbyname.com/cta_english/ or call us directly at 855-345-7464!